It is always a thrill when a new store partner opens up their closet to us; our sartorial eyes are aglow with an entirely new crop of fabulous merchandise. Fifth Avenue Designer Consignment is no exception. Offering in house styling, an array of high-end threads and a precocious young owner with a keen eye, Fifth Avenue Designer Consignment has all the workings to be a resale success. Read on as we chat with owner, Alina, about Fifth Avenue's unique offerings such as styling alongside high end items and the future of the store.
1. Tell us about your store? How did Fifth Avenue Designer Consignment come to be? When did consignment shopping become a passion of yours?
We’ve always had a passion for consignment and we found a need for a boutique style consignment store [in Saratoga, CA] where things were organized and high quality. We've been open for two and half months now! I can remember going consignment shopping with my mom as a little girl and learning about how to seek out investment pieces; that’s where my love of it started. I love styling people and had a knowledge of labels so I thought this would be a good outlet to put all of those things together.
[caption id="attachment_8587" align="alignnone" width="660" caption="A peak inside the well organized boutique"]
1. Do you find that being in close proximity to an eclectic city like San Francisco helps curate the merchandise you have in your store? What labels and looks are you able to source?
Our community is pretty charming there are a lot of locals and tourists coming through; That coupled with the stylish, young professional women in the area, we’re lucky to see a constant stream of merchandise. We have everything from classics such as St. John and Dior to contemporary labels such as Tory Burch and Elizabeth & James. It’s a broad range.
3. While it's much more mainstream these days, do you ever come across people that are uneasy about consignment shopping and selling? How do you sway their opinion of it?
I think for a long time consignment shopping had a negative stigma. People would equate it to thrift stores where you would have to dig to find items that were clean and in good condition. We only take clothes in gently used condition; 60-70% of what we take in will even come in with tags still on it! You’re getting something almost new for a fraction of the cost.
4. What does Fifth Avenue offer that heightens the customers shopping experience?
That we offer styling is key. You’re getting a really great service and particularly in consignment it adds to the shopping experience. When they can come in here and get styled for way less than cost of hiring someone, it really makes the happening positive.
5. What are your top picks among the items you're excited to feature on SNOBSWAP?
We have an awesome pair of Pour la Victoire metallic booties; a Max Mara jacket, another fave is this pair of camel colored Reed Krakoff pumps. There is this super cute Marc Bouer Glamit sequined dress which is great for the holiday season. Then we have a Monique Leshman tunic with this insane beading on it. There is also an amazing pair of Chloé brown leather boots.
6. Where do you see the future of fifth avenue going?
I really want to expand the store and open more locations in California eventually. Hopefully branch in to other states too!
Be sure to check out Fifth Avenue Designer Consignment on SNOBSWAP!